Today we review another article on the expanded use of smart parking meters and parking systems which began in San Francisco and now is being tested with pilots in a number of American cities: Boston, Fort Worth, New York, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C, and Indianapolis.
“wirelessly connected networks of sensors and computer systems that accurately track the availability of parking spaces and enable variable pricing that changes with demand”
“The goal of intelligent parking systems:
- to know where parking is available and to let the driver know as well, making it easier for cars to find their way into parking spots.
- to understand just where parking is in demand and when. For cities, this information can be extremely useful..Parking is generally the second or third largest source of revenue for a city”
“ExpressPark [in Los Angeles] will be linked up with the mobile phone application..direct drivers to nearby parking options, with details about pricing, availability of spaces and even deals offered by parking facilities. The app also allows users to re-up their meters or set timers"
- How Does San Francisco Price On-Street Parking? (pollutionfreecities.blogspot.com)
- Chicago parking meter company wants more money, mayor balks (suntimes.com)
- Giants Fans Face Sticker Shock Over Meter Pricing Near Stadium (sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com)
- San Francisco Lowers Parking Rates At Some Garages (sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com)
- Revenue from Vancouver parking meters jumps $10m (vancouversun.com)
- MyMove™ - Moving into a City Things to Consider before Bringing Your Car (mymove.com)
- Cleveland's parking meter problem zones (newsnet5.com)
- Considering new parking meters (myfoxboston.com)
- Onstreet Parking- a Public or Private Good? (pollutionfree.wordpress.com)
- Hackers: We can bypass San Francisco e-parking meters (news.cnet.com)
- Streetline Wants To Be Your Parking Savior (fastcoexist.com)
- San Francisco Churches Resist Sunday Parking Meter Plan (sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com)
- The Networked Urban Environment (designmind.frogdesign.com)